Redis Installation On Mac
Mac: Install Redis using Homebrew (see instructions above). Linux: Install Redis from source (see instructions above). Docker: Install Redis as a Docker container (see instructions above). This is good for Mac and Windows platforms. Windows: Download and install Redis msi package from MicrosoftArchive page. The package installs redis-cli.exe. Download Redis Desktop Manager for macOS 10.14.0 or later and enjoy it on your Mac. Redis Desktop Manager (aka RDM) offers you an easy-to-use GUI to access your Redis databases and perform some basic operations:. View keys as a tree. CRUD keys. Analyse memory usage for entire DB or for selected namespace in tree-view (redis-server = 4.0. We can download the binary from the download section of redis.io, or use homebrew, wget or Curl. Personally, I am not a big fan of homebrew, even though it might be the most common way of downloading packages via the terminal for mac. Thank you for downloading Redis Desktop Manager for Mac from our software portal. The download was scanned for viruses by our system. We also recommend you check the files before installation. The version of the Mac program you are about to download is 2020.3.101. The contents of the download are original and were not modified in any way.
How to install Redis on Mac OS. Before installing redis let’s give you a quick introduction to redis. Redis is an open source, in-memory data structure store, used as database, cache and message broker. Redis supports multiple data structures such as. I) Strings ii) Hashes iii) Lists iv) Sets v) Sorted sets with range queries.
What is Redis
Redis is an in-memory data structure store / no sql database primarily used as a database for high performance application and cache. In this tutorial, we will show you how to install, configure and use Redis on a Mac Book Pro running macOS Sierra as an operating system.
Download Redis-cli For Mac
Mac Redis Manager
Redis installation can be done in many different ways. But I like the one with more controlled way where you can install it wherever ( location on ) you want to. And it will be also similar to the one we did on Linux Ubuntu 16.0.4. Skit skat card game rules play.
Redis Installation steps for MAC
- Download a latest stable release of Redis from here. ( at the time of writing this step by step guide the latest stable release is 3.2.8 ).
- Unzip / extract the redis in the directory of your choice. ( in my case I unzipped it in the Documents)
- Open the Terminal Window and cd to your respective directory where redis was unzipped.
- Use the following command to validate if redis can complete a clean installation.
- Once the test (all of the test pass) for the clean installation completes you will see something like this.
- Once the clean installation test completes proceed to final installation by using the following command.
- As the make test was successful in our previous step so there is no need to worry about these messages.
cd src && /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make all Hint: It’s a good idea to run ‘make test’ 😉
- Finally our Redis installation on Mac is complete and we are ready to Run the Redis as standalone database on our Mac Book.
Starting the redis
- use the following command to start the Redis as a standalone application.
- Now the Redis has been started on the default port 6379 unless you have changed the Redis to run on a different port of your choice.
- You will be seeing all of the logs rolling in the following screen as you will use the Redis for database queries.
testing the redis installation.
- Finally now you can interact with Redis using the built-in client.
- open a new terminal window without closing the one where Redis is running.
- cd to your Redis Installation Directory ( in my case its $ cd Documents/redis-3.2.8/ ) and use the following command to invoke the built-in client.
- You will see the Redis prompt where you can run the Redis commands.
- Try this command to add a data of type key value pair.
- Try this command to retrieve the value of the key added in previous command.
- Here are the output for the set and get commands.
- Here is my next Post where you will be learning how to change the port for Redis because you can change that as per availability in your organization and how to secure the Redis Database.
- In case your installation was not successful due to some issue and you want to do some hands on experiences you can try a live installation here.