- Full Tiffen Dfx Plugin For After Effects And Premiere Presets
- Full Tiffen Dfx Plugin For After Effects And Premiere 2
- Full Tiffen Dfx Plugin For After Effects And Premiere Cs6
- Full Tiffen Dfx Plugin For After Effects And Premiere 4
- Full Tiffen Dfx Plugin For After Effects And Premiere Cs6
TiffenDfx Video/Film Feature Highlights
- 121 individual filters
- Thousands of customizable presets
- Simulation of Tiffen glass camera filters, specialized lenses, optical lab processes, film grain, exacting color correction as well as natural light and photographic effects
- Rosco and GamColor Gel libraries
- Rosco and Gam Gobo libraries for lighting effects
- 8 or 16 bit image processing
- Multi-processor acceleration
- One Tiffen Dfx v3 video/film plug-in license will run in Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro®, and Avid® Editing Systems*.
Next, it’s a Photoshop plug-in. And finally, it’s good to go for After Effects, Media Composer, Final Cut Pro, and Premiere Pro. Photoshop has a feature called Smart Objects and when Smart Filter enabled plug-ins like Dfx are applied to a Smart Object, the application of the filter is non-destructive. The Smart Object allows you to go into. DFT Tiffen Dfx v4.0.2 CE. Simulating 2,000+ popular award-winning Tiffen glass filters, specialized lenses, optical lab processes, film grain, exacting color correction, plus natural light and photographic effects, the Tiffen Dfx digital filter suite is the definitive set of digital optical filters for professional photographers, top motion picture filmmakers, video editors, and visual effects. DFT Tiffen Dfx v220.127.116.11 for After Effects, Premiere Pro. Simulating 2,000+ popular award-winning Tiffen glass filters, specialized lenses, optical lab processes, film grain, exacting color correction, plus natural light and photographic effects, the Tiffen Dfx digital filter suite is the definitive set of digital optical filters for professional photographers, top motion picture filmmakers. Tiffen award-winning Dfx Creative Effects software is compatible for Mac OS and Windows platforms, enabling users to work faster and on higher resolution projects with After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, and Photoshop.
New in Tiffen Dfx Version 3.0
Boasting enhanced multi-processor acceleration for faster interaction and rendering of images, 10+ brand new filters for optical effects, interface improvements, and more, Tiffen Dfx v3 takes still images to the next level of visual brilliance. New filter and effects capabilities include:
- Color Shadow: Creates a high contrast image overlayed with a gradient, simulating the look and feel of those colorful iPod® commercials.
- DeBand: Removes banding artifacts from an image by smoothing pixels in banded areas while retaining detail. Banding frequently occurs, in blue skies for instance, with DSLR’s as well as digital cameras. DeBand effectively smooths out this unwanted banding.
- DeBlock: Removes blocking artifacts created as a result of high compression factors, such as overly compressed JPG images which often cause square blocking artifacts.
- DeNoise: Grain and noise from digital cameras, whether still or video, is a common problem. DeNoise removes the grain and noise while still retaining detail.
- Film Stocks: Simulates 113 different color and black & white photographic film stocks. For those desiring the look of either old or current film stocks, there are simulations of many of the popular brands from Kodak®, Fuji®, Agfa®, Polaroid®, and Illford®.
- Glow Darks: Glows and grows the dark areas of an image, creating a stylized, dreamy dark glow.
- Key Light: Relights images with a directional or point light. Changing the lighting after an image has been photographed gives the photographer/editor control to fix or enhance their images, as well as create interesting lighting effects.
- Rays: Creates stunning and realistic light ray effects quickly and easily. Rays can add shafts of light streaming through clouds, rays filtering through a forest canopy, beams of light on a foggy night, or rays shooting through an interior window. Rays adds a striking and dramatic quality to any image.
- Texture: Applies textures to an image for a stylized look. Adding texture to an image is a great way to create a unique and customized look.
- Match: Matches the color, detail, gradient, and tone of one image and applies it to another.
- Adobe After Effects CS5, CS5.5, CS6, CC
- Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, CS5.5, CS6, CC
Tiffen Dfx 3 Premiere Pro Film Stocks Panel Comparison
Tiffen Dfx v3 is a suite of filters and effects that is available for popular video and photo applications as a plug-in or a standalone application. Over the past few months, I have been using the software suite primarily in Premiere Pro CS5.5. However, I have also touched on the standalone app and as well as the After Effects and Lightroom plug-in integration.
As with any software or plug-in, understanding the capabilities of it is paramount to fully utilizing the application to meet the needs of your workflow. I don’t pretend to have an exhaustive understanding of all that’s within Tiffen Dfx 3 at this point; however, I have used it enough to realize where it meets many of my needs and makes life easier in post-production.
When I first dug into the effects tab of Premiere Pro after installing Tiffen Dfx 3 I was simply overwhelmed at the number of options. Still today, I’m impressed by all the options available; however, I’ve got a few things that I’ve really grown to love and use on a regular basis.
Tiffen Dfx 3 is broken down into several categories of effect (or filter) types with several effects/filters available inside each of these categories. The categories are Film Lab, HFX Diffusion, HFX Grads-Tints, Image, Lens, Light, and Special Effects.
Tiffen Dfx 3 Premiere Pro Bleach Bypass
Film Lab gives you access to effects like bleach bypass, cross processing, and several others. Inside of each of these individual effects there are several adjustable parameters that allow you to create a number of unique looks within each effect. HFX Diffusion gives you a number of different diffusion filters, many of which pull directly from the effect generated by Tiffen’s glass filters. Glimmerglass, HDTV F/X, and Pro-Mist are just a few of these. HFX Grads-Tints offer a ton of real world glass filter effects, along with numerous adjustments inside of each of the filter effects.
Under the Image category, you get access to some really unique effects that can be quite powerful when editing compressed or noisy video. For an all-inclusive plug-in set, it’s great to see filters for DeBlock, DeNoise, and DeBand available on top of everything else inside Dfx 3. While the software can only go so far to pull it back together before it turns into soft mush, these are nice tools to have on hand when footage needs just a little massaging.
Tiffen Dfx 3 Image Effects
I regularly shoot a multi-cam setup with the Sony FS100 and Canon 5D Mark II. While I’ve gotten the in-camera profiles pretty close, they still don’t match up perfectly. Since I’m generally in the same lighting setup with these two cameras, I built a pair of custom preset using the Tiffen Dfx 3 color correction adjustments (rather than the actual film presets) inside the Film Stocks filter. One preset is built for and applied to the 5D footage and one is for the FS100 footage. The color correction meets in the middle of the two camera profiles and gives me a nice starting point for any additional grading that I want to apply.
Of course, I can do this in other color correction tools within Premiere or After Effects; however, the fact that it’s easy to with the standard Premiere interface for Dfx 3 and that I have some serious fine tuning controls is a big boon for Dfx 3. It’s as easy to build presets with the Dfx 3 effects and filters as it is with any of the stock effects within Premiere Pro.
Full Tiffen Dfx Plugin For After Effects And Premiere Presets
The other filter that I use most often in interview shoots is the Pro-Mist filter, which is based off of Tiffen’s real-world glass Pro-Mist filters. I likely wouldn’t shoot an interview with a Pro-Mist filter on my lens because once it’s there, there’s no going back. However, Dfx 3 allows you to adjust a plethora of parameters, including the brightness and blur (which are a little much by default), to accommodate your specific tastes. It doesn’t take much, but a little dash of the Pro-Mist filter can do wonders for smoothing out skin and is very useful on older subjects, as well as ladies with skin that may not be overly flattering in full HD closeups.
Tiffen Dfx 3 Premiere Pro Clip Effects Panel Adjustments
One of the things I really like about the Tiffen Dfx 3 filters is the quick access to all the filter types within the Premiere Pro Effects panel. Once applied, the sliders for adjustments are accessible in the same clip effects panel where the stock effects show up. There is no need to open up a clip in a third-party’s preview window and learn an entirely new interface for working with the effects (of course, you can – as I’ll get to in a moment). Not that that’s all bad; however, it’s very convenient to pull up a filter, apply it to a clip and immediate the effects on playback as you make further adjustments.
Tiffen Dfx 3 Premiere Pro Bleach Bypass Comparison
As noted, you can also go into Tiffen’s own interface for applying effects, and in some applications it is necessary if you want access to all of the controls. In Premiere and other apps, if you want to access Dfx 3’s built-in presets, you need to load Dfx 3’s interface.
Tiffen Dfx 3 Premiere Pro Bleach Bypass - Edit Button
In Premiere, you simply click the “Edit…” icon from with the applied effect panel of your clip. This loads up Dfx 3 and you get access to all of the presets for the selected effect. This is a quick way to grab a film stock and apply it to your footage. It’s relatively fast on my Core i7 MacBook.
Full Tiffen Dfx Plugin For After Effects And Premiere 2
The one thing that I don’t like about loading the Dfx 3 interface is the fact that it doesn’t show you the frame you were on when the plugin loads. It appears to default to the last frame of the currently selected clip.
Tiffen Dfx 3 Premiere Pro Film Stocks Applied
This isn’t a huge deal, but it can be a real headache when you’re trying to base the look off of one particular moment. The simple workaround is to put a marker on the sequence and then trim the tail of the clip to the frame you want to use for reference. Then apply your settings inside Dfx 3. When you are back in Premiere, extend your footage back out to the previously-set sequence marker.
[Update: Tiffen says that it should load the current frame; however, I haven’t been able to replicate that behavior. I’m looking into it further and will update this review with any additional developments.]
Full Tiffen Dfx Plugin For After Effects And Premiere Cs6
On the photo side of things, I see Dfx 3 useful when you want to push a given stylized look across several images. I used it mostly as a plug-in for Lightroom, and Dfx 3 seems to play nice with Lightroom and stacking edited versions with originals once the effects have been applied in Dfx 3.
Tiffen Dfx 3 Lightroom Levels Preset
Full Tiffen Dfx Plugin For After Effects And Premiere 4
Once inside Dfx 3, you have a ton of presets available and then several more tons of parameter adjustments to cope with. You can alter the blend modes of presets and custom effects, as well as the opacity.
If you are all about Lightroom presets, you may have a hard time bouncing files out to Dfx 3 and back. That said, Dfx 3 allows you to do some layering, textures and film stock simulations rather quickly and effectively. In my experience, it’s a quicker way to get stylized looks from Lightroom than bouncing images out to Photoshop and back.
Tiffen’s interface takes some getting used to; however, I found the more I used it, the more I liked it – aside from a couple of quirks noted above. It’s definitely an acquired taste, and some folks may not be able to buy into it.
Tiffen Dfx 3 Interface Premiere Pro Plugin - Bleach Bypass Presets
All in all, I give the Tiffen Dfx 3 plug-in big thumbs up and high recommendation for video applications. As for the photo plug-in, I would encourage you to try before you buy to see whether the plug-in interface and effects are going to bring what you need to your workflow. I think it has a lot to offer for many photographers; however, I don’t necessarily think it will be something for everyone’s workflow.
Full Tiffen Dfx Plugin For After Effects And Premiere Cs6
You can see current pricing and download a free 15-day trial of the standalone, photo plug-in or video plug-in from Tiffen’s website.