Most cameras are capable of creating ‘acceptably good’ white balance on your photos. And even if they’re failing, you can make a pretty decent guess for what you think the white balance should have been in post production.
Supported MEID (Global) & GSM Devices. MTool Unlock is one of the few tools that supports MEID devices, it will keep the operator signal working, calls, updates, notifications, synchronization with iCloud, iTunes, Appstore and much more.!
But what if you want to take the guesswork out of the equation, and get perfect white balance every time? The professionals use something called a ‘gray card’ (or ‘grey card’, depending on where in the world you learned to write English). The name says it all: it’s a gray piece of card or plastic that you can use to balance your photographs.
Finding yourself a gray card
Does that sounds a bit high tech? Well, it really isn’t – and the great news is that you can use just about anything that is neutrally coloured. Of course, without advanced colour calibration equipment, it’s hard to find something that’s actually perfectly neutral. For our purposes, however, you don’t need to do that: anything that’s just about gray will do. Why? Because once you have your photos balanced consistently, it’s easy to make sure they are all well-balanced.
- This ensures that you capture the colour, and not the texture, of your gray card; Remove the gray card, and take photos as usual. Every time you change the lighting, go back to step 2. When you’ve imported your photos into your favourite software package, use the gray card as a ‘sample’ to set a custom white balance.
- Grey Hack is a massively multiplayer hacking simulator game. You're a hacker with full freedom to act as you want on a vast network of computers procedurally created. The interface of the game is similar to a current desktop operating system.
- May 07, 2019 GPU Upgrades. Yes, the Mac Pro's GPUs can be swapped out, but only three different GPUs were ever produced for it, the AMD FirePro D300 2 GB, D500 3 GB, or D700 6 GB. Apple has kept tight control on these (any official repairs require the GPUs to be returned to Apple), and thus few-to-none exist on the aftermarket, and the two higher GPUs are prone to failures thanks to a wattage ceiling.
- Grey Hack is a massively multiplayer hacking simulator game. You're a hacker with full freedom to act as you want on a vast network of computers procedurally created. Each player action influence the world and therefore the other players.
The silver on the Macbook Pro is relatively neutral, and can be used as a grey card
You can use anything that is neutrally coloured, but we would recommend using something that’s light gray – it gives the camera the best colour reading, and it makes it easier to do your balancing in post production, too. The lids on coffee cups tend to work pretty well, and personally, I’ve been using my Macbook. The matt, light silver material is relatively neutral, and since I tend to bring my laptop on photo shoots with me, it’s always there when I need it.
Printing off a gray card
If you know what printer you are going to be using to print your images, you could create your own gray card as follows: Recover my files v4.9.4 license key code.
- Open up a photo taken with your camera in Photoshop. This ensures that the correct color profiles are in your image file.
- Delete the image, and fill the frame with 18% gray.
To get 18% gray, open the colour selector in Photoshop, and choose a
saturation of 0%, combined with a brightness of 82%. That’s the correct
- Send the file to your printer, and take it with you on shoots.
The Apple iPhone 4 has a great camera, but it’s struggling with white
balance. By using a grey card, I can ensure that the money is
well-balanced. This is the before shot
The key thing here is that your ‘gray card’ may not be perfectly neutral, but the important thing is that your printer thinks it is neutral – so if you colour balance your photographs to this particular card, your images should come out neutral when you print them next. There may be some difference from printer to printer (some printers may print out slightly warmer or colder images), and this is why gray cards printed on one printer aren’t transferrable to another.
It could be argued, of course, that if you’re serious enough about white balance that you are going to use a gray card, then you may as well buy a set of gray cards that are definitely perfectly colour balanced, but having a home-made set of cards is much better than shooting without anything, so it’s a great place to start.
How do you use a gray card?
By using the known neutral grey as a sample, I can ensure that the photo is perfectly balanced
Whatever you’ve decided to use as your gray card, the way you use it is pretty simple:
- Set up your lighting
- Place your ‘gray card’ in the shot
- De-focus your camera a little and take a photo. This ensures that you capture the colour, and not the texture, of your gray card
- Remove the gray card, and take photos as usual. Every time you change the lighting, go back to step 2.
- When you’ve imported your photos into your favourite software package, use the gray card as a ‘sample’ to set a custom white balance.
- Copy the white balance across to all the other photos in the set – or until the next time you’ve photographed your gray card.
You can now sit back in the knowledge that all your photos have the same white balance. If it turns out that it is still slightly off, you could adjust it further, and then copy that white balance profile across to the other photos in the shoot.
Haje Jan Kamps writes books about photography, and has created an affordable set of gray cards, just in case you can’t be bothered making your own.
macOS provides multiple methods to protect the data on a Mac: a user account password, encryption via FileVault, and optional low-level security measure that prevents starting up from storage devices other than the selected startup disk. That's known as the firmware password or EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) lock, which will also block the user's ability to use all startup key combinations, except the NVRAM or PRAM reset combinations. This command (Option + Command + P + R), however, will initiate the machine from macOS Recovery instead.
The Lost Mode feature of Find My Mac will remotely lock the Mac with a firmware password for one-time use. The user's Mac receives the lock instruction from iCloud, restarts, and asks for the system lock PIN code that they set up. After entering the passcode the Mac starts up from the designated startup disk and disables the passcode.
Download CleanMyMac X from MacPaw’s website and clean up to 500MB of junk data from your computer while enjoying all the features of the software without major limitations.
A firmware password is not the same as the administrator password or login password. It's a separate password that appears immediately after boot and must be entered into the system lock screen, which appears as a lock symbol on either a black or a gray background.
Firmware Passcode Security
Low-level passwords are quite secure, which also means there is potentially a headache if the password is forgotten. If you or any of your users can't remember the firmware password or passcode, know that Apple doesn’t allow for any workarounds, but instead recommends scheduling a service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. The process requires the original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.
Earlier versions of macOS required manual installation of the firmware but, starting in 2015, Apple began bundling EFI updates with the macOS updates in order to deliver security patches to all users. But as security firm Duo Labs discovered in late 2017, some Macs aren't getting the right firmware, which makes them vulnerable to hackers. They recommend checking the firmware version and updating if needed.
Firmware Passcode Location
On Intel-based Macs shipped before 2011, the firmware password was stored in the PRAM and read by the system EFI firmware before other PRAM variables. That lead to a serious security issue, allowing the firmware to be revealed in a native macOS app and weakening the enhanced security Apple had hoped to introduce with the addition of the firmware password.
In 2011, however, Apple added an important change to the system: the firmware password was moved to a separate programmable controller from Atmel. This component contains lockable flash memory to store the password and requires special programming with identifier numbers for both the Mac's motherboard and the Atmel chip to access and reset it.
Since the controller is an independent component, the only way to bypass it is to manually remove it from the motherboard, but this requires highly precise reflow soldering tools and techniques.
Bypassing the Mac Firmware Password on MacBooks With Upgradeable RAM
This hardware hack works on both Intel- and Motorola-based MacBooks and requires users to remove the RAM and reinstall it. You can check our guide on how to upgrade the RAM on Macs for further reading.
- Shut down your computer and remove the battery.
- Locate your RAM, remove one of the RAM modules and put it aside.
- Put the battery in, and boot your computer while holding the Command + Option + P + R keys to reset the parameter RAM.
- Wait for the chime to sound three times.
- Release the keys and shut down the computer.
- Remove the battery again, and reinsert the RAM module.
- Put the battery back in.
- Boot up your Mac, and you should not see the firmware lock again.
Disable the Password With Firmware Password Utility
- Restart your Mac while holding down the Command + R keys to enter Recovery Mode.
- When the Utilities screen appears, go the Utilities menu bar, and select “Firmware Password Utility”.
- Choose to turn the Firmware Password off.
If none of the above methods worked, there are still two more options to try: either have Apple do it for you, so long as you have the original receipt or invoice, or alternatively use any of the EFI lock bypass hardware kits available for sale on various sites. In using one of these EFI lock hardware bypass methods you’ll almost certainly void your warranty, so it is down to you whether you want to risk the procedure.
Best Mac Optimization Software of 2020
Grey Hack For Mac Mojave
Get the Best Deals on Mac Optimization Software
Grey Hack Remote Machine
Stay up to date on the latest tech news and discounts on Mac optimization software with our monthly newsletter.