If you've been battling to get the video for Google Hangouts to work on Safari I have a workaround for you..
Trusted Reviews has compiled a list of all the best apps to video chat on Windows, Mac, iPhone and Android. Free video conferencing apps Google Hangouts. Google Hangouts is a free video. Get the latest Hangout plug-ins at Hangouts. Note: My Hangouts has always worked in Chrome but not Safari (until I tried this workaround) I'm using macOS High Sierra version 10.13.2; And also Safari version 11.0.2; I've never had a problem with the Hangouts iOS app on my iPhone.
- Open Hangouts and start your video call. The green light next to the camera should come on. The video won't work at this stage.
- Now open Photo Booth to activate the camera.
- Your Hangouts call should now have started the camera and you're good to go!
It's important to do it in the order above, although I've heard of it working for a few in the reverse order.
Google Hangouts App Store
Of course you'll need all your Safari plug-ins up to date, installed and configured with the right permissions before trying this (a quick search will reveal plenty of sites that'll show you how, see link below to access plug-in downloads).
While this is a win for those of us who need Hangouts on Safari it's not a good enough solution. Put pressure on Apple by reporting the issue at Feedback - Safari - Apple
Thanks to NaN for finding this! https://notanumber.io/2017-12-16/workaround-for-webcam-in-safari-on-high-sierra- for-google-hangouts/
Get the latest Hangout plug-ins at Hangouts
- My Hangouts has always worked in Chrome but not Safari (until I tried this workaround)
- I'm using macOS High Sierra version 10.13.2
- And also Safari version 11.0.2
- I've never had a problem with the Hangouts iOS app on my iPhone
- If the green camera light doesn't come on in Hangouts I'm afraid I don't have a solution for that
Free Hangouts App For Laptop
null-OTHER, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), Safari
Free Hangouts Download App
Posted on Jan 25, 2018 3:40 AM