- Altium Pcb Design Software
- Altium Pcb Design Tutorial
- How To Open .pcb File In Altium
- Altium Pcb Library
- PCB Layout&Design
- Top ten common problems with PCB copy board
- The Difference between Footprints and Land Patterns
- Exclusive Layout Tips for BGA Chips
- Top 10 Best PCB Design Tools
- How to Generate the Gerber Files
- Getting Started with High-Speed PCB Design, Beginners Mus..
- The Best Suited Naming Patterns for PCBs
- How to Export Eagle PCB to Gerber Files
- How to Make Panelized PCB in AlTIum Designer?
- How to Export Altium PCB to Gerber Files
- The Method to Generate Centroid File and BOM from KiCAD
- Half-bridge DC/DC Power Supply Based on LM5036
- How Do We distinguish the DC Resistance and Dynamic Resis..
- The Method to Export KiCAD PCB Design to Gerber Files
- Generating Centroid File and BOM from Altium
- How can Engineers Avoid Inflows During PCB Design
- Signal Reflection in PCBs
- Analyze and Restrict Impedance of High-Speed High Power PCB
- How to Use PCB Layered Stackup to Control EMI Radiation
- Flyback Power Module Circuit Design using ATX Supply
1. Altium Gerber Files
The model data is stored (embedded) in the PCB file. Link to Model – Select a Model file from a folder registered in the Choose Model dialog – typically, the file might be shared with an MCAD designer. This file will be linked to the 3D Body, so any file updates made in the MCAD domain will be detected by Altium Designer when the file is. How to open file extension pcb. By programs Protel DXP, DXP, Altium Designer, The Print Shop Ensemble III, Rimu PCB, The Print Shop® Pro Publisher, PCB Wizard Demonstration. To open an Altium Designer PCB document in CircuitStudio do the following: In Altium Designer Save your PCB as a PCB 5.0 binary file. Do this by going to file save as from the pulldown menu choose PCB5.0 Binary. In CircuitStudio go to file import and choose the PCB5.0 binary file.
RS-274-X Gerber file format is a defacto data sharing standard for PCB manufacturing. This is basically a printer or plotter language which is used for PCB CAM (Computer Aided Manufacturing) data generation. Almost everyone who uses Altium Designer software for PCB design, either hobbyist or commercial designer, may have used this feature. It is actually a 2D ASCII file format.
Gerber file format is evolved from applications where it is used to re-create images or graphics i.e., printers and plotters industry. In the same way it is used in electronics hardware industry to print PCB tracks, vias, pads, text, holes, clearances and all information which is contained in a *.PcbDoc design file. The Altium Designer software tool has a feature to create and gerbtool option to verify data as well.
Like other softwares outputs the Altium Designer gerber file can be divided into four subparts:
- Configuration Parameters
- Aperture Definitions
- Drawing Commands
- X/Y Coordinates
Each file extension denotes a specific layer such as:
Top Layer => *.gtl
Bottom Layer => *.gbl
Keepout Layer => *.gko
TopOverlay Layer => *.gto
BottomOverlay Layer => *.gbo etc.
2. Generating Gerbers in Altium Designer
Add layer stackup to any of the mechanical or other suitable layer.
Add other information like manufacturing notes, dimensions, cutouts etc., before generating gerber files.
In Altium Designer it is very easy to setup Gerber Files creation setup. It is done by two ways:
Altium Pcb Design Software
Generate through File>Fabrication Outputs> Gerber Files
It opens Gerber Setup dialogue box.
In Gerber setup dialogue box Set file producing unit system.
In layers pane add layers to be re-produced in gerber format.
In drill drawing pane click plot all used layer pairs on both of the boxes.
Set apertures box.
Set advanced parameters in advanced pane or otherwise keep default settings.
Click ok , it generates the gerber outputs in the project folder.
On same method NC drill files are created i.e., File>Fabrication Outputs> NC Drill Files and then adopt the same steps as above.
Or in other way it can be generated by following steps:
Output Job File to project > Fabrication Outputs> Gerber Files and then set path for files.
Double click 'Gerber Files' it will open Gerber setup. Use the same steps as above and click ok.
Enable output generate option and set target folder location.
Altium Pcb Design Tutorial
Clock Run or double click over generates content. The gerber file outputs will be generated.
Figure 1: Sample PCB Design file
In figure 1 different layers names are shown in their respective layer. The same layers can be viewed in the final view Figure 5 as Gerber output generated.
Figure 2: Gerbers Settings Dialogue Box
Figure 3: Gerber Setup Dialogue Box opens
Figure 4: Gerber Files generated and viewed in CAMTastic Bottom Layer view
Figure 5: CamTastic complete PCB view
3. What is Needed by Manufacturer
In a gerber file following layers and information should be added:
- 1- Enable all signal layers which have been used for routing in PCB design or those which have electrical signals routing should be enabled to re-produce in gerber format.
- 2- Enable all plane layers which are solid copper and distribute power to the circuit on PCB. These are printed as negative image of layer.
- 3- Enable Keepout layer, it is usually electrical boundary of the board. The keepout can also be asked to manufacturer for cutting boundary.
- 4- Enable required mechanical layers in gerber setup. A mechanical layer does not have any electrical information like in signal layer or plane layers. However, they can have some information about mechanical parameter like PCB cutting or, 3D PCB footprints information, assembly and fixing in enclosures etc.
- 5- Enable Top Overlay and Bottom Overlays which have information of components designators and PCB name, number, nomenclature debug information and test signal details etc.
- 6- Dimensional Information: PCB Dimensions information should be added on top overlay or mechanical or keepout layer of PCB design file before generating gerber files.
- 7- Layer PCB stackup: Before generating gerber files add layer stackup information in any enabled mechanical layers so that manufacturer can use information about PCB material such as base material thickness, pre-preg thickness type etc.
- 8- Preferably produce time and date stamped Gerber files so that they would be back traced for any query.
- 9- Recheck and verify the file types using any gerber viewer software tool.
- 10-If found accurate and forward to the manufacturer.
Figure 6: Gerber files enable and disable and extensions
Figure 6 shows the gerber files produced by Altium Designer software, produced time, type of layer etc.
Gerber format is RS-274-X 2D ASCII file format. The gerber file format is a defacto standard of interface between a PCB Design engineer and manufacturer. Dymo 450 mac driver download. It includes all conductive, mechanical, text and keepout layers information of a PCB design alongwith necessary notes for manufacturing.
The Altium Designer software produces RS-274-X format Gerber files by different methods. The latest software and updates about files generation are available on Altium ®. In this tutorial a complete yet comprehensive guide has been provide.
Next Post: How to Make Panelized PCB in AlTIum Designer?
Our project is now complete. The schematic is drawn, the list of components is complete and verified, the PCB is composed and has been checked for errors, and the assembly drawing is ready. The next step is to upload all the required files in order for the PCB manufacturer and assembler to get the final (and already working) device. At the very least, the manufacturer should get information about the PCB materials and layers set, NCDrill files, and Gerber or OBD++ files to create a conductive pattern on the layers of the designed PCB. These files can be uploaded individually, but it is much easier and faster to use the OutJob file to output all the necessary files at once. Each output is configured with its own settings output format. OutJobs are very flexible – they can include as many or as few outputs as required and any number of OutJobs can be included in a project. The best approach is to use one OutJob to configure all outputs required for each specific type of output being generated from the project. Let’s create the OutJob file for exporting all output files of our drone PCB.
Make sure that project Kame_FMU.PrjPCB is active. Select File > New > Output Job File from the main menus to create a new OutJob file related to the project. A new OutJob editor will open in the design space with the settings of output files. In this editor, you can specify all the necessary documents for export and upload them at the same time. Simultaneously, the new.OutJob document will appear in the project tree.
How To Open .pcb File In Altium
The main section of this editor is Outputs and it is divided into groups depending on the type of documentation: Assembly, Fabrication, Report, etc. To manufacture and assemble the drone PCB, we need to get the following set of files:
- Schematic Drawing
- Assembly Drawing
- Pick and Place file for automatic component placement
- Bill of Materials report
- Board Stackup Information
- Gerber/ODB++ files to replicate the conductive copper pattern on a real PCB
- NC Drill files for PCB drilling
- 3D model of our PCB
Once the OutJob file is configured, all these files can be uploaded with a few mouse clicks even after changes in the project. Also, the number of OutJob files in the project is unlimited, so in your projects, you can separate them by functionality outputs or by PCB variants. In the following guides, all the necessary documents and files will be configured and generated depending on their type