This tutorial article offers you with direct links to download El Capitan 10.11.6/10.11.4/10.11.2 and detail guidance to update Mac OS X to El Capitan without losing data. To do so, back up your Mac data first and then upgrade the Mac OS X. If you lost data during the Mac OS X upgrade process, download EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac to restore your lost data immediately. (Tips on this page are also applicable to upgrade the latest macOS Mojave, High Sierra, etc.)
- 1. Check whether your Mac device is available for El Capitan update
- 2. Prepare Mac Ready for the El Capitan Update
- 3. Update Mac OS X to El Capitan (Download OS X 10.11.6)
- Bonus Tip: Restore lost data after El Capitan update (without backups)
This page collects complete process for all old Mac OS X users to follow and upgrade their Mac into Mac El Capitan. (Tips on this page are also applicable to upgrade the latest macOS Mojave, High Sierra, etc.)
If you want to update Mac OS X to a higher version, you should follow this tutorial guide for help: update and install macOS Sierra.
Mac OS El Capitan is the twelfth major release of Mac OS X, that now named as Mac OS X, the latest version is 10.11 for Apple Inc, desktop. Mac OS X El Capitan is one of the most famous operating systems for Macintosh computers. The new OS from Mac is here in OS X El Capitan. Apple's 12th OS release is the OS X El Capitan.Named after a rock formation in the Yosemite National Park, USA, OS X El Capitan continues and focuses on stability, performance and security in which OS X Yosemite started. With this new OS, you can enjoy multitasking in full screen with Split View, control your desktop without overlapping with. Installing Mac OS X El Capitan. The installation process of mac os el Capitan includes two methods. The first method is termed as an upgrade install, also known as the default method. The second method is known as a clean install. Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11 DMG Install and Download. Upgrade install-Follow to below steps-Visit the Mac App Store.
1. Check whether your Mac device is available for El Capitan update
Before you take steps to update your present Mac OS X to El Capitan 10.11.6/10.11.2, it's highly recommended that you check whether your Mac computer and present OS X is available for download and install the new El Capitan. Check the below list and see whether your device or OS X can get the new update:
Supported Mac devices:
- iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, Early 2009, or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid 2007 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
- Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
- Xserve (Early 2009)
Available OS X for El Capitan:
- OS X Yosemite v10.10
- OS X Mavericks v10.9
- OS X Mountain Lion v10.8
- OS X Lion v10.7
- Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.8
If your Mac OS X and devices are just right on the list, read on and follow below tips to prepare your Mac OS ready for El Capitan update.
2. Prepare Mac Ready for the El Capitan Update
Let's see what you should do to prepare your Mac devices fully ready for the new El Capitan 10.11.6, etc. update. And if this is your first time to update Mac OS X, follow tips below carefully:
- Leave at least 2GB memory and 8.8 GB storage space on your Mac
- Leave at least 45% battery on your Mac
- Connect Mac to the internet or WiFi
- Update your Mac Apps to the latest versions
- Back up all your personal data and even create backups for your present Mac OS X through Time Machine
It's vitally important to back up important data on Mac to external storage devices, which will certainly help to avoid data loss issues due to Mac OS X update.
If you have forgotten to backup data, you may suffer data loss issue on Mac. And Mac data recovery software is the best tool to help you restore lost data. So now, you can follow the next tutorial tips to update your present Mac OS X into El Capitan.
3. Update Mac OS X to El Capitan (Download OS X 10.11.6)
So now you can update your Mac OS X to El Capitan now. Follow below steps and then update to El Capitan with ease:
Step 1. Go to Mac App Store and search El Capitan on Mac App Store or you can directly go the El Capitan page.
Step 2. Click the Download button for El Capitan. And here you can download the newest El Capitan or the exact version such as 10.11.6,10.11.4, 10.11.2, etc., and install on your Mac:
- Download OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 (Offered by Apple)
- Download OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 (Offered by Apple)
- Download OS X El Capitan 10.11.2 (Offered by Apple)
When the downloading process is finished, the El Capitan installer will launch automatically.
Mac Os El Capitan Download Free
If you are planning to download the latest macOS system like Mojave or High Sierra, go to Mac App Store and download the latest macOS.
Step 3. Click Continue and follow the instructions on your Mac device screen to install El Capitan on your Mac.
Usually, the process will not take you too long and just wait patiently to let the El Capitan installation process accomplish on your Mac. After this, you can restore your Mac backups from Time Machine and get all those data back to your Mac so to reuse them again.
Bonus Tip: Restore lost data after El Capitan update
This offer is specially designed for Mac users who have no backups or have forgotten to create data backup images after Mac OS X El Capitan update. If you have no Mac data backups and lost important data on Mac, EaseUS Mac data recovery software can help.
EaseUS Mac data recovery software, also named EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac, dedicates to restoring lost data for Mac users under complex circumstances such as data deletion, Mac hard drives formatting, storage devices corruption, even system crash or OS X reinstallation.
This software is fully compatible with all Mac OS X such as El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks and the latest new macOS Mojave, High Sierra, etc. Download it and follows below steps to restore lost data due to El Capitan update now.
Step 1. Where was data lost after operating system update? Choose the location and click Scan.
Mac Os El Capitan Download Link
Step 2. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac will immediately scan your selected disk volume and display the scanning results on the left pane.
Step 3. After the scan, select the target files that were unknowingly lost during or after the update and click Recover Now button to get them all back.
- 2. El Capitan Features
- 3. El Capitan Download & Install
- 4. OS X 10.11 Problems
- 5. Mac OS X 10.11 Tips
- 6. Software for OS X 10.11
- 7. Compare OS
Mac OS X El Capitan can be downloaded directly from the Apple website. The Beta version of the OS is available but the final version will be made available towards the Autumn season of 2015 as speculated by many Apple users. You can use your older Mac OS with the new El Capitan, all you have to do is to create a different partition for the new El Capitan if you have the Yosemite already installed. There are few steps you should consider in downloading the latest El Capitan and these are as follow.
Part 1. Preparing Mac Device for the Installation of Mac OS X El Capitan
Both Mavericks and Yosemite are easier to download and install on Mac devices, however, this is not the case with Mac OS X El Capitan. Just before you install the new Mac OS X El Capitan, you must perform few tasks to ensure that your Mac will be ready for the installation of the software:
- Check Your Mac - Check whether your Mac will be able to run the new OS X 10.11. Apple has provided a list of the Mac supported by the new Mac OS X El Capitan and if you are already running the Mavericks or Yosemite, the same lists may also apply to the El Capitan. You can also check this list on the “Will your Mac run Mac OS X” article on Apple website.
- Create Enough Space - Check that your Mac has sufficient RAM to run the software. You wouldn’t run into any hitches if your Mac device is listed on the acceptable Mac devices for Mac OS X El Capitan. Apple recommend that you have a minimum RAM of 2G, however, a minimum of 4G space of RAM is highly recommended. You will also need to delete some unnecessary files to create more space for the installation of El Capitan.
- Check Hard Drive Space - Make sure you have sufficient hard drive space for the installation of Mac OS X El Capitan. Yosemite will normally require a Hard drive space of up to 5GB , but the new El Capitan will require between 15g and 20gb of space on your hard drive for successful download and installation.
- Register - Register to access the Mac Apple store. You need to upgrade your Mac and get access to Mac Apple store for a small fee in order to get the most out of your Mac OS X El Capitan.
- Updates - Make sure your third party Apps are updated before installing Mac OS X El Capitan. You can simply launch App store and click on “Updates” on the tool bar if you want to update the apps you bought from Apple store. For other third party apps, you may need some manual updates from manufacturer websites to complete such updates.
- Backup Your Mac - Perform a backup before downloading and installing Mac OS X El Capitan- you need to protect your important documents and files, thus you may have to back them up somewhere before starting the download and installation process.
Part 2. Installing Mac OS X El Capitan Safely on Your Mac Device
You can install or upgrade to Mac OS X El Capitan as a dual boot partition. You may be able to download a test version if you register for the OS X Seed program from Apple, and you can also provide a feedback to Apple in order for the company to update the software before it is finally released. You can follow these instructions to install the Beta version of Mac OS X El Capitan. It is strictly recommended that you perform a backup before you begin this process. It is important you keep in mind that Mac OS X El Capitan is still in a Beta format, thus , not all your apps or programs will work on it.
- Visit the Apple Beta software program page and log unto the page using your Apple ID. Simply click on “Enroll your Mac”.
- Click on the download link that shows up, and enter the personal redemption code given to you.
- Open the downloaded Mac OS X El Capitan software and preview the file in the Applications folder. Click “Continue” and then select “Agree”.
- Click on “Install” and then enter your admin password. You're all set!
Part 3. Installing Mac OS X El Capitan Safely on an External Drive
You don’t have to install Mac OS X El Capitan on your Mac device, you can also install it on an external hard drive, most especially when you want to access the OS quickly. You can consider Thunderbolt drives which are similar to the internal drives on Mac, or you can simply use the USB 3.0 external drive if you don’t have the Thunderbolt on your Mac. You will have to format an external drive before installing Mac OS X El Capitan, this will help to install the Mac OS X El Capitan safely on the hard drive and at the same time the configuration of your device will not be changed.Step 1. Launch Disk Utility
Connect the external drive to your Mac device and make sure it is detected. Launch the Disk Utility tool ( go to “Utilities” and you will find it there). Choose the drive- it is located at the side bar.Step 2. Partition
Simply click on “Partition”. Make sure the partition layout reads “1 partition”. Name the partition. You can use a name like “Mac OS X El Capitan”. Click on “Options” and ensure that the Guide partition table is chosen, and then click on “Ok”.Step 3. Options
Click “Apply'. Open the preview file from your Mac’s application folder. Click on “Continue”. Click on the “Agree” button.Step 4. Open
Can i download netflix on my mac. Click on “Show all disks”. Simply highlight the “External Hard Drive” on which you have just install the Mac OS X El CapitanStep 5. Install
Mac Os 10.11 Download
Click on “Install”, and enter the admin password.