Skillful reading requires:
- Practice reading a column of newsprint, restricting yourself to only two fixations per line. Keep in mind that the length of fixation and span is determined by the type of material you are reading. Watch for signs of fatigue: twitching muscles, burning sensations in the eyelids, fading, or blurring of print.
- MIT's Department of Mechanical Engineering (MechE) offers a world-class education that combines thorough analysis with hands-on discovery. One of the original six courses offered when MIT was founded in 1865, MechE's faculty and students conduct research that pushes boundaries and provides creative solutions for the world's problems.
- Purchase Motor Age ASE test preparation materials direct from Motor Age. Autoshop101 receives a small commission for each sale. This does NOT affect the low price you pay. Proceeds are used to support and maintain this website. Your support keeps this website online.
- Find out what 111,991 Automotive job seekers already know: an industry-focused career site will help you get hired faster. No scams, no junk – just great Automotive jobs. Your Resume – Found!
- A minimum number of fixations to the line of type.
- Wide eye span which encompass phrases and thought sequence rather than isolated words.
- A complete absence of lip movements and vocalization.
- Infrequent regressions.
MIT's Department of Mechanical Engineering (MechE) offers a world-class education that combines thorough analysis with hands-on discovery. One of the original six courses offered when MIT was founded in 1865, MechE's faculty and students conduct research that pushes boundaries and provides creative solutions for the world's problems.
- Move the eyes consistently forward, regularly, and rhythmically-- pick up groups of words rather than isolated words.
- Practice quick and rhythmic return from the end of the line to the beginning of the next.
- Practice looking down quickly at a line of print, lifting your eyes, and checking to see how many words you saw in this fixation. Do this until you are actually aware of a broadened span.
- Cover the print of a single line with a plain white card. By moving the card downward, expose the line, cover it up, expose it, cover it up, etc. Do this until you are aware of seeing more words at a glance.
- Practice reading a column of newsprint, restricting yourself to only two fixations per line.
- Keep in mind that the length of fixation and span is determined by the type of material you are reading.
- Watch for signs of fatigue: twitching muscles, burning sensations in the eyelids, fading, or blurring of print. Look away from your reading often and give momentary rest to your eyes.
- Place the forefinger on your lips and your thumb and other fingers on your larynx.
- Practice reading with your mouth tightly closed; attempt to restrict movement of the larynx, tongue, and lips.
- Check to see whether you are actually 'hearing' words as you read; this is another form of vocalization which can be eliminated only through determination to use only your eyes and the meaning centers of your brain.
- Regressions often occur because you are attempting to take such long spans that you miss essential words and relationships. If this is noticeable in your reading, shorten the span.
- Practice covering all of the material which you have just read with a plain card. This will not permit you to regress and will force you to concentrate on essential words and essential relationships in the sentence or paragraph.
- Read so fast, in easy materials, that there is no time for regressions.
- Recognize the fact, at all times, that some regression is necessary to establish relationships within the selection which you are reading.
HABITS OF A LIFETIME ARE NOT EASY TO ELIMINATE. THE DEVELOPMENT OF NEW SKILLS IS OFTEN PAINFUL AND REQUIRES CONSTANT ATTENTION, DETERMINATION, AND FREQUENT PRACTICE.
Reading, Advising, & Mentoring Program.
- Free volume based nonlinear viscoelastic model for polyurea over a wide range of strain rates and temperaturesChencheng Gong Yan Chen ..
Automotive Mechanic Jobs
Automotive Mechanic Resume
- Closed-form solution and analysis of the plate twist test in sandwich and laminated compositesR. Guillén-Rujano F. Avilés ..
- Mechanistic insight into the role of severe plastic deformation and post-deformation annealing in fracture behavior of Al-Mn-Si alloyHesam Pouraliakbar Mohammad Reza Jandaghi
- A continuum mechanical model for asphalt based on the particle size distribution: Numerical formulation for large deformations and experimental validation - Open accessR. Behnke G. Canon Falla ..